Sunday, July 8, 2007

Oh the irony.

Although I don't believe in the global warming hysteria that Al Gore has so annoyingly brought into the spotlight, I still can't figure out how a concert is supposed to help anything. Don't get me wrong I love music, but how is a concert supposed to raise awareness for global warming?
Here is a tasty quote from the Washington Post "We would have to plant 100,000 trees to offset the effect of Live Earth," he said, speaking by telephone. But, he added, "if you can reach 2 billion people and raise awareness, that's pretty fantastic." That was John Buckley of Carbon Footprint. I must say WOW! that really is brilliance at its finest. Come on, even if you live in a cave you've heard about global warming, it's simply everywhere. You can't outrun it, you can't hide, you just cannot escape global warming, it has perverted itslef into everyones life everywhere on earth.
Find me someone who hasn't heard about global warming and I've got some property on Jupiter you might be interested in.
It's like an intellectual...no wait I'll do one better, it's a common sense epidemic. I really don't think the ends justify the means. Hitler thought the world would be a better place when he was done too. I know it's a different example but it proves the point, killing for peace makes no sense, and neither does polluting for enviromentalism.

So is a concert to raise awareness really necessary or even practical? I for one find it quite ironic that some of the most excessive consumers on the planet are the ones trying to tell us "common folk" that our lifestyles are harmful to the enviroment.
Call me crazy but i'm seriously having a difficult time understanding how my 1998 Chevy Cavalier is worse for the enivroment than the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Private Jets and whatever else is owned by Bon Jovi, The red hot chili peppers, Kanye West or whoever else performed.
And we can't forget about the cost(enviromentally) of this concert. The cost of organizing and setting it up certainly burned some fossil fuels. The artists getting to their venues, which we're undoubtedly stocked with bottled water and brown m&m's, and also the fact that the concert-goers had to arrive at the venues as well, which i'm guessing also burned more fossil fuels.

One last thing, the only reason I know this concert happened yesterday is because while I was watching the Tigers go to extra innings against the Red Sox, I changed the tv channel during a commercial and there I saw somebody prancing around on stage and became thoroughly confused for several seconds until I realized what was going on. It was at that point I switched back to the baseball game, and didn't care any more about global warming than I had before, which is not at all.
My point is it may have been a good idea to promote the concert a little. I never heard anything about when the concert was actually happening until I saw it last night. Even Eddie Money, who comes to Detroit every year promoted his show more than this concert, and this thing is supposed to save the earth? Either somebody is really lazy, dumb, both or just plain ran off with the advertsiing dollars.

No comments: